SPRING IS IN THE AIR, NOW WHAT THE HECK TO WEAR!?
April 21, 2010 By: Blogger
Well, like typical Maryland weather, we have certainly been kept guessing about what the forecast will bring around our town. In the past week, we have had some beautiful weather and we have found ourselves amidst springtime.
Now while the sky and sun sure look beautiful and put a spring in our step, getting dressed in the morning for this “in between” season can really be frustrating. For most of us, the next season sneaks up on us and we are not ready for a change of wardrobe. We have grown used to our comfy sweaters being our favorite cover up. So here are some tips on how to dress slimmer as we go into the spring/summer season. Now some of these may be common sense and some of them I am sure you have read before, but we always need to be reminded of such valuable pointers!
• Wear proper fitting underwear. The look you are going for is seamless, so no ill-fitting bra that leaves back fat spilling over into bulging rolls.
• Choose colors carefully. Darker colors make your heavier sections look smaller. If you are bottom heavy, go for darker pants, skirts and jeans, etc. Of course, we have all heard to avoid horizontal stripes; they simply ADD girth, same with many patterns.
• Find a good fit. Clothes that are too tight or too baggy will make you appear larger.
• Avoid pleats. Flat panel pants and skirts are instant slimmers.
• Select bold accessories. Bold and proportionally proper accessories will draw attention away from your trouble spots.
• Match your belt and shoes to your bottoms. You can make your legs appear longer by matching your belt and shoes to your skirt and pants.
• Match shoes to your build. If you are short and heavy, a pair of understated clogs or sandals can give you height and also counterbalance your body size. If you are tall and heavy, a pair of dark colored flats or low heel pumps will make your fee look smaller without making you any taller. Avoid slender heels and sharp pointy toes, they will look small on you and accentuate your size.
• Stand up straight! We have been told this for years, but it is true. If you improve your posture, not only do you decrease the visibility of rolls in the stomach, but you also gain confidence!
• Pull your hair up. Pulling your hair up and away from your shoulders really peels away pounds. Try sweeping your hair into a high ponytail and you’ll be surprised at how much slimmer your face looks.
• Flaunt it. Last, but not least, everyone has a feature they know works for them. Instead of always focusing on covering up what you don’t like, focus on FLAUNTING WHAT YOU DO!
Now these are only tricks of the trade to tide us over until we reach our fabulous Brick Bodies and personal goals. That means, we need to keep up with all of the other things we have tried to do all winter: eating balanced healthy small meals, drinking lots of water and making the trip to the gym worthwhile…..let the cute spring/summer fashions inspire you!