A Simple Tool at Timonium Gym is Super Fun for Super SpeedIf you’re an athlete (or a parent of an athlete), you’ve probably heard a coach yell “Fast feet!” at some point during practice. Aside from the obvious implications of moving better than your opponent, developing “fast feet”, your speed and agility, can make a healthy impact well beyond the athletic field. To train your speedy little self, try using a tool borrowed from the sports world – the speed and agility ladder. It’s an excellent and simple piece of equipment that makes for an I’m-so-spent-I-need-to-lie-down type feeling when you’re done with it. That’s right: you don’t have to be a professional football player or soccer star to benefit from ladder drills.
Why Speed & Agility MatterThe ladder is a perfect tool for improving both speed and agility. Defined as the ability to change the position of your body quickly and accurately. Although this is a seemingly easy physical task to perform, it requires the careful interplay between several major systems in your body, including strength, balance, coordination, and neuromuscular activation. Inherent within agility is the necessity for speed, or for our purposes, moving super fast. Even if you’re not a competitive athlete, it’s worth your while to develop these physical skills, and using a ladder is one of the most effective ways to do this.
- Alternatively referred to as an Agility Ladder or Speed Ladder, this simple tool has some profound benefits for your health and physical performance, including:
- Increased joint stability
- Better balance and body awareness (especially important for injury prevention)
- Improved strength and resiliency of connective tissue, including muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Excellent challenge to your cardiovascular and aerobic system
- Improved mental focus and cognition