Easy Yet Effective Exercises for Football Season
Explosive SquatsA sport with as much explosive running as football requires extremely strong legs. While there’s nothing wrong with standard squats, the bread and butter of every workout. Explosive squats are the perfect exercise for football season and will give the added benefit of building up the fast-twitch muscles that not only propel you forward but also sideways to avoid a tackle.
- Lay a bench or exercise ball beneath your rear while you squat.
- After you make contact, push upwards as hard and fast as possible (as opposed to smoothly in the regular fashion).
- Use a spotter to avoid accidents and injuries.
Back-ExtensionWhen you spend sixty minutes pressed up against someone pushing as hard as they can, you begin to use muscles you never knew you had. Back muscles are wildly important in football for maintaining position in a scrum or a tackle but usually don’t get much of a workout. Which is why a key exercise for football season is back-extension.
- Bend over a bench while holding a weight plate to your chest and extend your body back to form a straight line.
- Keep your breath tight in order to push with your midsection and back.
- Do NOT lift with your spine.
Side BendsThe strength of your core provides stability in a game where the opposition is trying to destabilize you at every moment. Improve the size and sturdiness of your trunk with side bends and you may find yourself feeling muscles that you never knew you had.
- Pick up a dumbbell with one arm and then lean over in the same direction to extend at a forty-five-degree angle with your hips.
- Let the weight pull you down and the oblique muscles of your sides pull you back up, without putting a strain on your back.
- Repeat on the opposite side with a heavier weight.